Every day most of the people wake up and look at their reflection in the mirror to check how they look but, very few tries to gaze beyond their physical feature and find out how far they have reached towards their goal. You might remember the “Mirror of Ershad” in Harry Potter’s novel, which showed the deepest desire of your mind and truly life is probably all about desire. But your aspiration will never come true if you do not have a clear vision of who you want to be; what you want to do or where you want to go? How can we forget the unforgettable quote, “The whole world moves aside for the man, who knows where he is going.”
You may think that creating a vision for your life is a waste of time but first steps to success in any one’s life, is actually developing an exciting vision. Let’s try to understand the concept of a vision for life by looking at a compass – it helps you to guide in the right direction and helps you to make the right choices for your desired life.
Why do you need a vision?
The success stories around us or motivational experts, all support the idea with a clear vision your chances of achieving in life is far greater than what you could without it. You need to craft your life's vision in such a way that, it touches your personal as well as your professional life. And on the other side, if you do not develop a vision there are chances that, you will allow others and the circumstances to determine your life.
How do you create your life vision?
It is not possible to develop a well-defined vision in an instant. Visualizing your life and defining the route to follow, requires a lot of time and thinking. It is not only important to create a vision but to develop it in a perspective is also equally important. While developing the vision, you need to apply logic and plan for a practical course of action to achieve the vision. Your vision should flourish from your dreams and aspirations but it would be more than just a dream. It will be the guiding light for the rest of your life. It would be enriched with your values and ideals, would generate energy and infuse spirit into your life and strengthen your commitment to exploring the possibilities your life would present before you.
What would be your vision?
It is always good to start with the question – What do you want? It may sound annoyingly simple but it is probably the most difficult question to answer. It is most often frightening to explore the deepest desire of life. You often think that you might not have the time to consider something really big as what you want out of life, but it is important for you to remember that fulfilment in life does not usually come by chance, but by design.
You could start by asking yourself some philosophical question to discover what you really want out of your life. When doing this you need to consider every aspect of your life - personal & professional; tangible as well as intangible. Envisage all the important part of your life, family and friends, success and achievement, physical health and quality of life, spirituality and personal development and very important about fun and enjoyment.
Here are some helpful tips to guide for framing your vision for life
- Always ask yourself why you want certain things
- You must think about what you want and not what you don’t want
- Do dream and do not afraid to dream big
- Exclusively focus on your wishes and not what others expect
- Yes, always be as creative as possible and consider ideas that you may think never be possible.
Here are some questions for you to start your exploration:
- Think about what really matters in your life? Think what does matter and not should.
- What would you like to have more out of your life?
- What do you really want in your career apart from earning money?
- What are you most passionate about?
- What would bring most joy and happiness in your life?
- What kind of relationship do you want to be like?
- What skills and qualities would you like to learn and develop?
- What values do you cherish most and the issues you care about?
- What are your aptitudes?
- What would you like to achieve in life?
- Finally, what bequest would you like to leave behind?
You need to do this exercise in a relaxed and fun way. Add more questions if you like and allow yourself to create a detailed and vivid picture in your mind about what you really want to do in life.