A new industrial revolution is underway, driven by technology that will help manufacturers improve communication, productivity, efficiency and profitability. But with all of today’s technology buzzwords promising to change the business landscape, how can manufacturers know which technologies to watch and implement in their operations?
From data management and integration to cutting-edge technologies like artificial intelligence and blockchain, here are a few of the top technologies for manufacturers to watch in 2019:
- Artificial Intelligence (AI) and Machine Learning (ML): According to US market research, AI and ML have the potential to become a $13 trillion industry by 2030. To date, these technologies have been tested in the marketplace, but have been slow to make an impact outside of the most forward-thinking enterprises. However, the potential of AI is enormous, helping businesses bridge the gap between humans and machines to truly embrace digital transformation.
- Integration: In the past five years, integration platform as a service (iPaaS) has become a priority for the manufacturing industry. Compared with other industries, manufacturers rely more on integration to allow them to coordinate from various sources and in various formats. As technology continues to play an increasing role in the supply chain and on the shop floor, integration will become even more important for manufacturers to maintain efficiency and productivity in their operations.
- Cloud Computing: Manufacturers who embrace cloud computing are growing faster as the technology becomes more prevalent. Only 36 percent of businesses are currently invested in cloud computing, but that number is expected to grow rapidly as AI is integrated into the cloud and more companies adopt multi-cloud solutions in place of traditional IT infrastructure.
- Blockchain: After the cryptocurrency boom, blockchain was suddenly in demand across nearly every industry. Its innovative approach to data exchange and management promised companies efficient, decentralized data transfer with improved data security.
While some of the buzz has receded, blockchain technology will continue to develop and expand across industries in the coming year, giving companies a secure way to store and share data.
- 5G and Edge Computing: Networking, computing, communication and connectivity all are vital to the performance and productivity of manufacturers. 5G technology enables a wide range of networks and sensors to connect and communicate with each other for improved efficiency throughout the supply chain. Edge computing works as a mini cloud for enterprises, helping implement and share data to connect new, intelligent manufacturing technology.
These five technologies have the capability to drive significant change in the manufacturing industry in 2019 and beyond. At Reliable Software, we work with manufacturers to ensure they have the strategy, infrastructure and solutions to take advantage of these innovative technologies.
Interested in learning more about how you can implement these technology trends to improve your business? Click here